This influencing skills course is designed to help you to get other people to see things slightly differently, or to get them to do something you need them to do.
It focuses clearly on the interpersonal and communication skills needed to get other people to want to give you their support.
It's a practical course, which will leave you feeling more confident in your ability to influence others.
- Expanding your sphere of influence
- Compensation rather than compromise
- Personal Influencing strategy
- Making impactful briefings
- Creating the right first impression
- Using pressure rather than coercion
- Seeing the other point of view
- Using status to stay in charge
- Knowing what to give away
- Creating a circle of champions
- Understanding group dynamics
- Giving positive feedback
- Making "weaknesses" work for you
What our Delegates Say:
"I would like to thank you for the Influencing and Negotiation Skills course you ran. The content and delivery was excellent and will certainly put into practice what I have learnt."...
Gregory Clarke - Propulsion, Auxiliary Supply and Power Supply Engineer - Southeastern Railway
"I was able to understand that not all people work the same as I do, and to go into a conversation / meeting etc knowing my audience a little better and adapting my communication to suit them!"...
Emma Bowdrey - UK E-Commerce Business Development Manager - Tech Data Limited
Influencing Skills Course Programme
We tailor all our courses to reflect the needs of the delegates on the day. The course content may include many of the exercises listed below, and any additional material that the trainers feel is relevant.
Introduction by Impact Factory on our style of working.
Here delegates will be asked what they specifically would like from the programme. We will let people know that the workshop is adaptable to their specific needs.
Setting the Influencing Scene
- Who do you have to influence?
- Where and with whom do you have to negotiate?
- What currently happens?
Building on their preparation, delegates define influencing in small groups. This moves into a discussion on how people are influenced.
Types of Influencing
A very brief look at different influencing arenas and types of negotiations people may find themselves in.
Influencing and Communication Dynamics
What skills and qualities does a good influencer need? How can we use aspects of the dynamics of communication to increase the choices people have around influencing.
Here we will also introduce the idea of covert vs overt influencing.
The View from the Other Side
A key piece of work that uses a series of visuals to explore the idea that everyone sees the world differently. Not only does everyone see it differently, they think their view is the right one, and can't understand why someone does something that in a different way to them - it can feel completely alien and why would anyone want to do that?
The real skill is being able to see a problem from someone else's vantage point and deal with it from that place. Taking the time to see a situation from someone else's view gives us a great deal of information that we can use to influence them effectively and is much quicker than trying to convince the other person that you're right and they are wrong.
This simple listening and responding exercise can have a powerful outcome. We examine the use of agreement, but not compromise, to diffuse conflict and 'charged' situations, and to move things forward. This exercise builds on the View from the Other Side work.
Influence By Numbers
This is quite simply the best exercise we have ever created where we look at what we call 'situational status' rather than hierarchical status. We demonstrate how to deliberately raise and lower your status to stay in charge of and/or to influence a situation. This can affect the outcome of conversations, meetings and negotiations, whether face to face or on the phone.
30 Second Influencer
This is a model which gets a message over clearly and concisely and is particularly useful if there is the tendency to increase the amount of words as the level of personal discomfort increases.
I Noticed That...
A simple model that's useful in trying to pre-empt difficulties or bring a tricky situation to someone's attention in a neutral, non-judgemental way.
Blame Vs Effect
We look at two approaches and the knee jerk reactions that are commonly caused by blame and how concentrating on the effect of something that has (or hasn't) been done can avoids this and so allows situations to move forward.
This is a quick exercise that looks at how changing your attitude can have a significant impact on how people respond to you.
The Art of Effective Messages
Here we look at delivering effective messages and at taking charge of the influencing arena by communicating clear surface and underlying messages.
Here we explore a variety of influencing techniques to suit individual styles and situations.
Difficult Styles and Situations
Here delegates work on the personality styles that they find difficult to influence or negotiate with and we will look at delegate's own individual situations and give them the opportunity to practise all the techniques covered in the day.
Personal Influencing Style
Each delegate will identify their own influencing strengths and qualities and then receive positive feedback from their fellow course participants on what they perceive as their strengths and /or what they have seen them do that works for them.
Influencing Skills Personal Take Out
Each person will have an opportunity to say:
- What they are taking away from the Influencing and Negotiation Course
- What specifically they know they will use
- Where they will practise
They also have access to a course web page containing
- Handouts used during the course
- New supportive material
- Impact Factory PDF documents
- Recommended reading
- Links to our favourite videos
- Photos of the day
to help further their progress.
Influencing Skills Course
Book this course
Freephone: 0808 1234 909
The Influencing Skills Course - Impact Factory team:
- Asma MansuriAsma is adept at delivering training programmes in different aspects of leadership and management.
- Caitlin ShannonCaitlin has insight, natural warmth and bags of energy to engage with delegates and bring the work to life
- Dom KracmarDom is a firm believer in the Impact Factory ethos of giving people space and time to explore and discover things for themselves.
- Kate ArneilKate is involved with Performance Management, Conflict Management, Presentation and Communication Skills Training.
- Katherine GriceKatherine's skills and passions include Customer Service, Presentation Skills, Public Speaking, Personal Impact and Leadership
- Sarah DawrantSarah has warmth, humour, a quick mind and unlimited passion to help people develop by stretching their comfort zones.
- Sheila Neville'I am both pleased and proud to be involved with a company delivering high quality training to people who intend to achieve above and beyond their existing capabilities.'
- Simon WestwoodSimon brings more than 15 years of global corporate experience to his role as a trainer – but that's only the beginning!
Attend this Influence Skills Course risk-free
We are so confident in our trainers and the quality of our Influence Skills Course that we guarantee it will make an impact.
If you attend this training and believe you have not benefited, let us know and we can arrange a refund or a free placement on a more suitable course.
Training Course Accreditation
To ensure that the courses you attend are of the highest quality, offering the best professional tuition possible,
all our Open Courses are evaluated and accredited.
This accredited course is suitable for corporate and public sector Continuing Professional Development Plans and Portfolios.