Presentation Skills Training
The British Library's Presentation Skills and Personal Impact Programme
The British Library is a major research library. The collections include around 14 million books, along with substantial holdings of manuscripts and historical items dating back as far as 2000 BC. There are over 150 million items from many countries, in many languages and in many formats, both print and digital; as well as journals, newspapers, magazines, audio recordings, videos, scripts, patents, databases, maps, stamps, prints and drawings.
The Library wanted training that would help staff and managers to improve their presentation techniques, awareness and confidence levels.
It was decided to focus on providing a refreshing, innovative, activity-based and engaging programme, which would give participants the skill and confidence to prepare and deliver presentations to different audiences, to consider a variety of delivery techniques and improving impact through words, tone and body language.
The workshop would engage busy managers and staff, and equip them with tools to encourage ownership, consider interdependencies, and enable them to work to expected standards.
The workshops were held at the British Library, St Pancras, London, with a maximum of eight delegates per workshop. We were to film each participant delivering a short presentation they prepared and to give a short critique of the outcome.
The course objectives were to deliver a practical and innovative course, and give the participants:
- An experience of what works for them already as part of their unique presenting style
- An understanding of what happens when they are in front of others and presenting
- A range of hints and tips and exercises for effective and impactful presentations
- An in-depth look at how face to face communication works
- A practical experience of looking at the structuring of presentations and how the preparation and use of materials which can support their effectiveness
- How to create real engagement with their audience
- An experience of dealing with questions effectively
- The ability to present information on material they are familiar with and material they are less familiar with
- Gain insight into methods for varying their presentations, ensuring their audience understands the content, is engaged, and has the desired impact
Since the programme started May 2011, feedback has been extremely good with high take-up rates amongst the Library staff. Delegates found the interactive format and dynamics of the training easy-to-follow and the content excellent.
This programme has now become a firm fixture of the British Library’s training process.
If you would like to talk to us about Impact Factory’s Presentation Skills Training or any of our other professional personal development work, call us on:
+44 (0)20 7226 1877 or e-mail us at email@example.com
Presentation Skills Training
Freephone: 0808 1234 909
Training Course Accreditation
To ensure that the courses you attend are of the highest quality, offering the best professional tuition possible,
all our Open Courses are evaluated and accredited.
This accredited course is suitable for corporate and public sector Continuing Professional Development Plans and Portfolios.