This two-day Leadership Course is suitable for anyone taking on a leadership role.
This is a dynamic, experiential course. You will be involved in games and exercises, recreating and re-running real interpersonal situations and using the learning of each day to create more positive outcomes.
The Leadership Programme is heavily tailored on the day to focus on the issues and needs of the delegates and therefore may not follow exactly the outline given here.
Leadership Course Objectives
- Introduce the concept of leadership behaviours
- Discussion and debate about leadership
- Define beyond traditional leadership stereotypes
- Cement personal understanding
- Individual leadership qualities and strengths
- Clarify the way communication works
- Provide insight into communication by behaviour
- The importance of attitude
- The power of changing what you do
- Leading by example
- Getting people committed to projects
- How individuals make things happen
"I found the course useful in so many ways, and it’s really changed the way I approach my work, it really was so inspirational to me. In fact, I’ve already recommended that one of my colleagues does the same course and he is now booked on for the new year!"
Jayne White - Projects & Development Manager - J&K Confectionery
Leadership Course Programme
We tailor all our courses to reflect the needs of the delegates on the day. The course content may include many of the exercises listed below, and any additional material that the trainers feel is relevant.
Day One: Leadership Behaviours and Communication
The programme will be tailored to the needs of the delegates so they will have the opportunity really early in the programme to say what they are looking for from the two days.
- What is it?
- What qualities or skills do you need to be a leader?
- What kind of leader are you now?
- What kind of leader do you want to be?
- Where are the gaps?
- Acknowledgement of skills that each person has already
Discussion of the pros and cons of each and any examples of World leaders who exemplify each of these and the behaviours associated with each style:
John Adair’s Venn Diagram of the allocation of tasks ie. Individual/Team/Organisation
Who am I?
Working with the ‘Style’ sheets from the preparation work delegates will look at how they view themselves, how they are viewed by others and then analyse the similarities and anomalies.
A look at personal values, exploring how those values define us as a leader and how our behaviours as leaders are shaped by our values.
Speaking from the ‘Why’?
Using the Simon Sinek Ted Talk on How leaders inspire action, delegates get to do their own Golden Circle of What/How/Why and then deliver it from the outside in and the inside out.
Here delegates will work on a leadership initiative that is current for them. They will work on defining a clear vision of how they want it to be and spend some time on the Who, What, Why, Where, When and How of it.
They will identify the 3 of the first steps required to begin the initiative and a plan to begin the initiative that evening.
Day Two: Influencing and Facilitation as a Leader
Leadership Course Day Two Objectives
- Understand the parameters for influencing others
- Look at individual strengths and personal style
- The power of behaviour to influence others
- How not to have to do all the work yourself
- Leadership with diverse partners
- Look at empowering others and mentoring
- Skills and insight into facilitating meetings
- The environment needed for effective facilitation
- Understand, spot and manage group dynamics
- Delegation and how to delegate even to difficult people
- Handling specific situation's and "characters"
- Skills to keep things moving forward
Check In and recap
Recap of what has been covered and what the focus is for Day 2.
Process thoughts on the Leadership Initiative and any insights overnight.
Trust and Risk
Experiential exercise to explore each person’s response to risk and how to develop trust. Developing into a discussion on delegation and responsibility.
During the remainder of the day delegates will be asked to bring forward individual leadership situations where they need some help to move things on. We will offer a selection of tools and techniques to address those situations, including:
- Conflict management
- Giving difficult messages
- Giving effective feedback
- Managing meetings
The following processes may be included depending on time and the wants of the delegates:
In this exercise delegates will practice motivating others using their own motivators and using the other persons just to see the difference in impact.
Decisions as a Leader
Making decisions is a vital part of leadership but one that often causes consternation. We begin with a look at some of the things that can go wrong with decision making before introducing some practical decision making tools.
In this exercise delegates explore how different people react to change and how they can be helped back to a place of comfort.
This is a group exercise in dealing with obtuse or difficult people. It demonstrates how hard it can be to get your point across in the face of other people either misunderstanding you or choosing to make it difficult for you. The work here will include what you can do to avoid being hooked in.
Moving & Shaking
Adding to the insights from the prep and the work of Day One, each delegate will be given feedback on their personal leadership qualities as seen by other members of the group. This is the basis of their leadership style.
What are you going to do differently to make something specific happen in your organisation?
Each person to develop a strategy of how they are going to implement their new Leadership skills. Getting really specific and using their scenarios, looking at best and worst case outcomes, what support they'll need, back-up plans, etc.
Summing up and close
Personal takeaways and commitments.
Delegates have the opportunity to take home hand-outs used during the course.
They also have access to a course web page containing
- Handouts used during the course
- New supportive material
- Impact Factory PDF documents
- Recommended reading
- Links to our favourite videos
- Photos of the day
to help further their progress.
Book this course
Freephone: 0808 1234 909
The Leadership Course team:
- Asma MansuriAsma is adept at delivering training programmes in different aspects of leadership and management.
- Janet AddisonJanet employs her love of people and what makes them tick to support their development in a way that's fun, useful and truly unique
- Katherine GriceKatherine's skills and passions include Customer Service, Presentation Skills, Public Speaking, Personal Impact and Leadership
- Simon WestwoodSimon brings more than 15 years of global corporate experience to his role as a trainer – but that's only the beginning!
Attend this Leadership Course risk-free
We are so confident in our trainers and the quality of our Leadership Course that we guarantee it will make an impact.
If you attend this training and believe you have not benefited, let us know and we can arrange a refund or a free placement on a more suitable course.
Training Course Accreditation
To ensure that the courses you attend are of the highest quality, offering the best professional tuition possible,
all our Open Courses are evaluated and accredited.
This accredited course is suitable for corporate and public sector Continuing Professional Development Plans and Portfolios.